Family Day is almost here and many families are looking for something fun to do with loved ones. If your weekend plans involve your aging parents or other seniors, here are a few fun, accessible ideas. Many of these activities are great for kids as well as adults, making them ideal for intergenerational get-togethers. Thanks as always for reading and happy Family Day!
Check out a concert or other event
Halton has some great performance venues including the Burlington Performing Arts Centre and the Oakville Centre for Performing Arts. Here are a few events taking place in or near Halton this weekend:
- Pianist Francine Kay at BPAC on February 19th at 4pm (details and tickets here)
- Noon hour jazz and blues tribute performance at the Hamilton Public Library on Friday the 17th (details here)
- Winterfest concert at Hamilton Public Library on Saturday, February 18 (details here)
- Classic music trio in Hamilton on Saturday, February 18th (details and tickets here)
We also recommend a visit to the Royal Botanical Gardens, the Art Gallery of Hamilton, or the Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory.
Go out for lunch
Sometimes, a casual lunch out is the best way to engage in undistracted conversation with your aging loved ones. We recommend visiting one of these great local restaurants, which are accessible and have parking on site:
- The Thistle Fish and Chips in Burlington
- Stacked Pancake House for casual dining
- Cima Enoteca in Burlington for more upscale Italian dishes
- Copper Kettle Cafe in Waterdown
- Betula in Dundas (no designated parking lot but easy street parking directly in front/along the street)
If you’d rather stay home on Family Day weekend, go for it—it can still be fun for the whole family! Consider playing some board games or card games together, working on a puzzle, watching a movie as a family, cooking together or ordering in. If your aging loved ones struggle with mobility issues, bring the fun to them—just be sure to work around their schedule (a regular afternoon nap, for example) and leave the place as clean (or cleaner) than you found it. Thanks for reading and from all of us at Living Assistance Services in Burlington, happy Family Day! Please reach out to our team if you’d like to learn more about in-home caregiver services in Halton, Hamilton and the surrounding areas.